What are some of the Benefits?
- Reduced fuel consumption per trip compared to the average operator.
- Smoother ride for passengers.
- Fewer emissions from exhaust, reducing the effect air quality.
- Reduced wear and tear on brakes and tires, extending their life span and reducing replacement costs.
- Transfer of new driving habits to personal vehicles, saving operators fuel and maintenance costs at home.
- A less stressful day for operators.
- Schedules are not impacted.
Isn't this just Defensive Driving?
The SmartDRIVER program is more than defensive driving as it ……
- Uses an Electronic Control Module on the bus to collect data and to show the improvement from a pre-course drive to a post-course drive.
- Addresses the technical aspects of driving such as how and when to use retarders.
- Examines the entire organization and how all departments contribute to fuel efficiency.
How do I learn to be a SmartDRIVER?
The SmartDRIVER program is designed in a Train-the-Trainer format. Here's how it works:
1. Your system contacts CUTA to register for the program through the "Contact Us" link on this page.
2. CUTA will work with the system to establish training objectives, design the test route, create an internal implementation plan and set goals. The performance tracking database is set up for you and we will work with your maintenance team on technological issues.
3. A 3-day Train-the-Trainer workshop is conducted. Attendees receive the Leader’s Guide and instructional materials required to train the course. Training Managers and designated staff are trained to use the SmartDRIVER database program.
4. Participant Books are delivered to your system.
5. Implement the training program with your employees!
6. A CUTA Master Trainer or Representative will visit your site after approximately 6 months to provide coaching assistance and work with you to meet your goals.
Host a Train-the-Trainer at Your Facility
Train-the-Trainer programs are hosted at transit systems across the country. To host a course, you will commit to providing:
- a training room with a u-shaped table that can seat 8 participants and a head table for the instructor.
- a laptop, data projector and screen.
- flipcharts, markers and pads of paper.
- a bus for on-road testing that is equipped with an Electronic Control Module (ECM) from which to download data. Prior contact with the Maintenance Department to test compatibility and availability of download hardware is necessary.
To learn more about bringing SmartDRIVER to your facility, please contact Training 416-365-9800, ext. 121 or email@example.com